I am a Vancouver based Nutritionist serving up real food education! I hope to share food resources, stir the pot, make you think, expose epic feasts, debunk nutrition myths, debate food farces, talk food politics, discuss health issues, uncover what is in season, cook up a storm, eat with passion & make mouths water in the process.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Community Supported Agriculture



I wish I could only post photos. I think the pictures could say it all.  But let me explain a little bit.

There is a phenomena happening across the world, where community supports the local (and likely organic) farm.  It is a step closer to the farmer from the market. 

My friend Hannah, local food activist extraordinaire introduced me to Nathan Creek Organic Farm in the spring and I bought into idea and the farm.

There are several Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) projects happening in Vancouver and I will list them all at the bottom. This is how they work. You fill in an application, buy into the farm (~$600) and receive (season permitting) weekly deliveries for 20-25 weeks.  That means fresh, in season, straight from the earth organic farm grown food- right to you.  Does it get any better?

This so happens to be a freaking amazing harvest, so I have been processing food like a maniac. Freezing soups and stews.  Freezing green onions, tomatoes, kale, chard, carrots.  Pickling things and creating chutneys and relishes galore.  As well, my neighbors and friends have highly benefitted from my bin. Needless to say, this is one of the best investments I have ever made.

My farmer, Stephen so graciously allowed me to work off a portion of my "share" and these photos do not do his incredible production justice.  Much thanks to you for the fruits of your labour and the education of how your farm works.


Want to participate next year? Here are your options for the lower mainland:

Nathan Creek Organic farm: http://www.nathancreek.ca





Klippers Organics: http://klippersorganics.com/


If you know of any others please let me know!



3 comments:

  1. Dont forget Glen Valley Organic Farm, who I found out about through NowBC. Their box scheme has been going for 17 weeks now, with 2 more to go.. We have been swamped with fresh produce and like you are processing like *crazy*.. Winter will be a freezer/larder/preserve raid every day!

    I can't speak highly enough of GVOF and the entire CSA concept. I have never felt so connected to my food source and the seasonality of food - it also forces some serious creativity in the kitchen; I would never have thought to have make a tomato, cheese and black kale omelette... And other crazy tasty combos!

    Get to it people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vancouver-based Urban Grains (urbangrains.ca) is a community supported agriculture program that started in 2009. I just went to UBC Farm this afternoon to pick up my share and will write a post on KatieInBC.wordpress.com soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's also Yarrow Ecovillage's CSA (yarrowecovillage.ca/farm/csa.html).

    The Harvest Box concept operates in a CSA-like model to support local farmers. Check out SFU Harvest Box (sfulocalfood.ca/sfu-harvest-box), and Fraser Valley Harvest Box (fraservalleyfoodnetwork.com)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

Please Read:

The information you find here at Vitalis Nutrition Adventures is meant to lead to having more fun with your food! This site provides resources & family friendly recipes. It's not meant to give medical advice or  make health claims on the prevention or curing of diseases. This site is only for informational and educational purposes. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding supplements or making any changes in your diet. Thank you.